Top RSS feeds from the world of technology:
- Venmo prototypes a debit card for teenagers - Allowance is going digital. Venmo has been spotted prototyping a new feature that would allow adult users to create for their teenage children a debit card connected to their account. That could potentially let parents set spending notifications and
- Homie CEO resigns after allegations of sexual harassment from job applicant - Jordi Greenham, the co-founder and CEO of Mexican long-term rentals startup Homie, has resigned after a sexual harassment investigation was carried out by the company’s ethics board. On February 14, Homie launched an investigation into allegat
- Huawei’s ill-fated foldable returns with a more robust upgrade - MWC may have been canceled on account of rising coronavirus concerns, but the party still went on for Huawei (albeit to what appears to have been a mostly empty room). A year after wowing crowds with the Mate X, the company is introducing the Mate X
- Max Q: How to build a Starship - Busy week for SpaceX: funding, space tourism and next-gen spacecraft. There's also a space station resupply mission coming up, and its first human spaceflight mission is imminent.
- Intuit confirms that it is buying Credit Karma for $7.1B in cash and stock - The week is kicking off with a major piece of M&A in the world of financial technology startups. Today Intuit — the accounting, tax filing and financial planning software giant behind QuickBooks, TurboTax and Mint, confirmed that it plans
- Best antivirus: Keep your Windows PC safe from spyware, Trojans, malware, and more -
Antivirus software is nearly as crucial as a PC’s operating system. Even if you’re well aware of potential threats and practice extreme caution, some threats just can’t be prevented without the extra help o
- Lenovo announces a major ThinkPad refresh, including AMD's mobile Ryzen 4000 chips -
Lenovo said Monday that a number of its upcoming ThinkPad laptops will use the AMD Ryzen Pro 4000 Mobile series of mobile processors, a strong endorsement for AMD’s new chips.
Both Lenovo’s premium T-se
- What the new Xbox Series X specs tell us about AMD's next-gen Radeon graphics cards -
Microsoft pulled back the curtain on more Xbox Series X specs this morning, and well, it looks like
- How to file your taxes for free -
Most of us pay to have our taxes completed, whether that means hiring an accountant to fill out the forms for us, or using one of the several online or application-based options made available by TurboTax, TaxACT
- XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT Thicc II Pro review: A good graphics card in a weird place -
The XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT Thicc II Pro is a good $300 graphics card that suffers from AMD’s disjointed launch for
- The three challenges keeping cars from being fully autonomous - Technical, regulatory, and business obstacles are still in the way of safe, useful, and affordable self-driving vehicles.
- Ready for 6G? How AI will shape the network of the future - With 5G networks rolling out around the world, engineers are turning their attention to the next incarnation.
- Landowners are earning millions for carbon cuts that may not occur - A new analysis finds California’s cap-and-trade program may vastly overestimate emissions reductions.
- Facebook’s ad-serving algorithm discriminates by gender and race - Even if an advertiser is well-intentioned, the algorithm still prefers certain groups of people over others.
- China’s Huawei has big ambitions to weaken the US grip on AI leadership - In spite of tensions with the US and its allies, Huawei is rapidly building a suite of AI offerings unmatched by any other company on the planet.
- Mission: Impossible 7 Production Halted Due to Coronavirus Outbreak - The production of Mission: Impossible 7 has been put on hold due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy.
- FIFA Pro Kurt Banned From All EA Games and Services Following Latest Attack - EA has permanently banned FIFA pro Kurt 'Kurt0411' Fenech from all EA games and services following yearlong harassment of EA employees.
- Netflix Adds Top 10 Movies and TV Feature - Netflix announced that it's adding a new top 10 feature to the popular…
- PS5 Could Collect Your 'Biofeedback' Via Optional DualShock 5 Attachment - Sony patents a new accessory that could track your biofeedback on PlayStation 5 games.
- A Bionic Jellyfish Has Just Been Created - Scientists have been able to take control of a certain type of jellyfish and make it swim three times as fast without harming it.
- Petnet goes offline for a week, can’t answer customers at all - Failing to work is one problem; failing to communicate with customers is another.
- California man arrested on charges his DDoSes took down candidate’s website - Feds say defendant used Amazon servers to wage DDoS attacks that cost the rival campaign.
- A weed dealer’s $59M lesson: Don’t hide Bitcoin keys with a fishing rod - The man reportedly "regarded [the loss] as punishment for his own stupidity."
- The strange, unexplained journey of ToTok in Google Play fuels user suspicions - In a reversal, Google now warns app can spy on texts, recordings, photos, and other data.
- Former congressman confirms he offered to broker pardon for Assange - Rohrabacher offered Assange a pardon if he implicated Seth Rich in DNC email leak.
- Katherine Johnson Dies, Russia Sows Election Chaos, and More News - Catch up on the most important news from today in two minutes or less.
- Artists Explore the Many Uncanny Valleys of Tech Work - From San Francisco's de Young Museum to the pages of a new wave of memoirs, the creative class grapples with the role of human labor in the tech industry.
- Coronavirus May Disrupt the 2020 Election. We Need a Plan - Quarantines and fear could decimate voter turnout. Congress needs to fund mail-in ballots nationwide now.
- Xbox Series X Details: Features, Processor, and More - Microsoft shed a little light on its next-generation console, including the ability to suspend and quickly resume multiple games at once.
- Sandra Oh to Star in Netflix Show from 'Game of Thrones' Creators - It's part of the deal that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss made with the streaming giant.
The New York Times Technology News
- Lawrence Tesler, Who Made Personal Computing Easier, Dies at 74 - When you’re cutting and pasting, dragging the cursor over selected text and performing other common computer tasks, you can thank him.
- Intuit to Buy Credit Karma to Create Financial Data Giant - The $7.1 billion transaction underscores the value of the financial details of ordinary Americans.
- Kanye, Out West - What is the superstar doing in Wyoming?
- How Technology Is Changing the Future of Higher Education - Labs test artificial intelligence, virtual reality and other innovations that could improve learning and lower costs for Generation Z and beyond.
- As the Start-Up Boom Deflates, Tech Is Humbled - Layoffs. Shutdowns. Uncertainty. After a decade of prosperity, many hot young companies are facing a reckoning.
CNET Technology News
- The Mate XS: A Huawei foldable will finally be available outside China - CNET - I spent time with Huawei's Mate X and am excited to see this upgrade go on sale in the UK.
- Million-year-old seaweed fossils may be ancestors to modern land plants - CNET - The fossils turn back time for ancient algae.
- TSA quits using TikTok videos, with national security concerns raised by senator - CNET - TSA put its agency at risk by using the Chinese-owned social media app, according to Sen. Schumer.
- Instagram influencer Natalia Taylor fakes Bali vacation with Ikea pics - CNET - Taylor wanted to remind people not everything they see on Instagram is the real deal.
- Venmo is reportedly testing out a debit card for teens - CNET - Maybe this will keep them from taking all your cash.