Top RSS feeds from the world of technology:
- Calendly CEO Tope Awotona is joining us at Disrupt 2021 - Early Bird Tickets to Disrupt end today, Friday, July 30. Book your tickets now!
- The best way to grow your tech career? Treat it like an app - What happens after a developer or engineer lands that sweet gig? Are they able to harness their skills and grow in interesting and challenging new directions?
- A Tesla Megapack caught fire at the Victorian Big Battery facility in Australia - A 13-tonne Tesla Megapack caught fire on Friday morning at a battery storage facility in south-east Australia. The blaze occurred during testing at 10 - 10.15am local time.
- Elon Musk calls Apple’s App Store fees ‘a de facto global tax on the Internet’ - Elon Musk is siding with Epic Games in the App Store monopoly case, with the Tesla CEO firing off a tweet Friday morning that called Apple’s Store fees “a de facto global tax on the Internet,” also adding that “Epic is right.
- US government watchdog rejects Blue Origin’s protest over lunar lander contract - The Government Accountability Office said that it was denying both Blue Origin’s protest and a separate challenge filed by Dynetics.
- Why California isn’t banning gaming PCs (yet) -
Have you heard? California just banned gaming PCs! Yes, they took your job and now
- The best movies and shows on Disney+ right now - You don't need to be a kid—or a cord-cutter—to dig the entertainment streaming on Disney+.
- Philips Hue Dimmer Switch (2021) review: The aging Hue dimmer switch gets a welcome revamp - Equipped with a new button, a much improved wall plate, and greater configurability, the new Hue Dimmer Switch is better in every way.
- Asus ROG Falchion review: A wireless gaming keyboard that falls short of the target -
Tiny mechanical keyboards are all the rage at the moment. But the ones from gaming companies like Razer and Corsair try to be everything to everyone: ideal companions for both desktops and mobiles. Asus is taking
- AMD's Radeon RX 6600 XT is an 'epic 1080p' graphics card with a not-nice price -
Nearly nine long months after the Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT GPUs launched,
- An endlessly changing playground teaches AIs how to multitask - DeepMind has developed a vast candy-colored virtual playground that teaches AIs general skills by endlessly changing the tasks it sets them. Instead of developing just the skills needed to solve a particular task, the AIs learn to experiment and exp
- Hundreds of AI tools have been built to catch covid. None of them helped. - When covid-19 struck Europe in March 2020, hospitals were plunged into a health crisis that was still badly understood. “Doctors really didn’t have a clue how to manage these patients,” says Laure Wynants, an epidemiologist at Maastricht Unive
- The best vaccine incentive might be paid time off - Free doughnuts. Tickets to see the Los Angeles Lakers. Video visits with loved ones for people in prison. The chance to win a million-dollar lottery. States, cities, and private companies are dangling anything they can think of to convince Ame
- She risked everything to expose Facebook. Now she’s telling her story. - The world first learned of Sophie Zhang in September 2020, when BuzzFeed News obtained and published highlights from an abridged version of her nearly 8,000-word exit memo from Facebook. Before she was fired, Zhang was officially employed as a low-l
- Israel begins investigation into NSO Group spyware abuse - Israeli government officials visited the offices of the hacking company NSO Group on Wednesday to investigate allegations that the firm’s spyware has been used to target activists, politicians, business executives, and journalists, the country’s
- US States Ban Certain Alienware PC Sales Because They Use Too Much Power - Certain prebuilt Alienware gaming PCs can no longer legally be sold in half a dozen US states due to their high power consumption.
- The Chip Shortage Affecting Every Part Of Gaming Could Drag Into 2023 - The global semiconductor shortage, which has been making it difficult to buy a PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and new graphics card could last into 2023.
- EVGA Will Replace All Its RTX 3090 Cards Bricked by New World MMO - PC users that own an EVGA RTX 3090 are reporting that their graphics card is getting bricked when playing the closed beta for Amazon's New World.
- PS5 Digital Edition: Apparent New Model is Lighter Than Launch Console - A new official manual for the PS5 Digital Edition shows a new version of the console that is 300 grams lighter than the launch model and features a new screw.
- Best Buy Is Selling RTX 30 Graphics Cards at Select Stores Tomorrow - Best Buy has announced that over 100 of its retail stores will have limited numbers of RTX 30 graphics cards available for purchase tomorrow.
- Software downloaded 30,000 times from PyPI ransacked developers’ machines - Expect to see more of these "Frankenstein" malware packages, researchers warn.
- New bank-fraud malware called Vultur infects thousands of devices - Screen sharing courtesy of VNC mirrors device screens to attacker-controlled servers.
- Feds list the top 30 most exploited vulnerabilities. Many are years old - Hackers continue to exploit publicly known—and often dated—software vulnerabilities.
- Biden warns cyber attacks could lead to a “real shooting war” - US president's remarks follow breaches that paralyzed critical services.
- Sean Gallagher and an AI expert talk about our crazy machine-learning adventure - Join our headline experiment post-mortem today, July 28, at 1 pm Eastern time!
- Neuromancer Is Still Mind-Blowing - William Gibson's classic 1984 novel is still the gold standard for cyberpunk.
- 3D Imaging Shows How Shark Guts Work Like a Tesla Valve - Using CT scans and 3D modeling, researchers found the fish’s spiral digestive system is analogous to Nikola Tesla’s ingenious check valve design.
- The World Is Suffering from Champlain Towers South Syndrome - Plus: Round one with Mark Zuckerberg, the appointment of Lina Khan, and a new type of weather nightmare.
- Ted Lasso, the Olympics, and Talking About Mental Health - The confluence of the Apple TV+ comedy, the sports world, and social media is leading to a much needed dialog.
- The Best Laptop Stands to Save Your Achin' Neck - Help your back and posture by raising your computer screen up to eye level.
The New York Times Technology News
- Credit to Tech’s Pandemic Leadership - America’s tech companies have been leading the way for how large employers should aid in the country’s pandemic response.
- Why Turkey’s Regulators Became Such a Problem for Google - The antitrust backlash against Big Tech is playing out in places not known as regulatory hotbeds.
- Nooses, Anger and No Answers: Inside the Uproar Over a Future Amazon Site - The discovery of multiple nooses has set off heated debates about the responsibility of companies and the ability of workers to speak their mind.
- These Clubhouse Hosts Are Keeping the Party Alive - Sriram Krishnan and Aarthi Ramamurthy of “The Good Time Show” have booked Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and Virgil Abloh.
- Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Release - The star said making the film available on Disney+ at the same time it opened in theaters “dramatically” lowered box office revenue, which could cost her tens of millions of dollars.
CNET Technology News
- Netflix: The 53 best TV shows to watch tonight - CNET - Season 2 of Outer Banks is out now.
- Chevy COPO Camaro returns in a big way with Big-Block V8 power - Roadshow - The drag strip special is back for 2022 with a massive 572-cubic-inch V8 under the hood.
- Mortgage rates for July 30, 2021: Rates are low - CNET - Despite minor changes in the major interest rates, the story remains the same -- it's a great time to get a mortgage.
- Disney sued by Scarlett Johansson over Black Widow's streaming release - CNET - The movie star alleges that the film's streaming release on Disney Plus at the same time the flick hit theaters violated her contract and reduced how much she was paid.
- Olympic medalist reveals how she fixed her kayak... with a condom - CNET - It worked. And Jessica Fox's kayaking has no unplanned pregnancies that we know of.