Top RSS feeds from the world of technology:
- NASA extends contact with Boeing for SLS rocket, paving the way for up to 10 Artemis missions - NASA has a new contract extension in place with Boeing, which will cover rocket stages for its Space Launch System (SLS) beyond Artemis I and Artemis II, the missions covered under the current contract it holds with the aerospace company. The new co
- Live Caption, Google’s automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - Live Caption, Google’s automatic captioning system first introduced at its I/O developer conference this May, is now officially available, alongside the launch of the new Pixel 4. But unlike some of the other technologies highlighted at the co
- Arianna Huffington’s Thrive Global is buying a startup that uses neuroscience to boost app usage - When Arianna Huffington stepped down from her role at the Huffington Post to start Thrive Global, she said the goal of her new business was to help a generation “avoid the burnout that all too often comes with success today.” In practice
- Evervault raises $3.2M from Sequoia, Kleiner for an API to build apps with privacy baked in - Data privacy for apps is typically part of the purview of compliance teams — a model that isn’t always perfect, judging by the number of breaches and the extensive regulation that’s been (and still being) put in place to force comp
- Europe issues interim antitrust order against Broadcom as probe continues - Europe has ordered chipmaker Broadcom to stop applying exclusivity clauses in agreements with six of its major customers — imposing so called ‘interim measures’ based on preliminary findings from an ongoing antitrust investigation.
- The Pixel 4 has the same problem as the Pixel 3: It's too expensive -
In an alternative universe, Google is the Apple of Android. People are counting down the days until the Pixel 4 goes on sale, and forums are filled with debates over how much better the square camera bump looks i
- Acer Swift 3 (2019) review: This midrange notebook PC hides Nvidia graphics power -
Acer’s Swift 3 (2019) should attract the type of savvy notebook PC buyer searching for a little more graphics oomph than the standard integrated GPU provides. Combining an 8th-gen “Whiskey Lake” chip plus a
- Google Pixelbook Go hands-on: Come for the low price, stay for the keyboard -
The Pixelbook Go is nothing less than a mea culpa from Google, making good on the Pixel Slate. Launched last year at the very s
- SimpliSafe Smart Lock review: The ultra-simple alarm system gets its own companion smart lock - This inexpensive but barebones smart lock merits a look by the SimpliSafe set.
- Innr Smart White A19 bulb review: This inexpensive smart bulb seamlessly connects with a Philips Hue Bridge - If you’re already invested in the Hue lighting ecosystem, these budget Zigbee bulbs can fill in your smart bulb gaps without breaking the bank.
MIT Technology Review
- The three challenges keeping cars from being fully autonomous - Technical, regulatory, and business obstacles are still in the way of safe, useful, and affordable self-driving vehicles.
- Ready for 6G? How AI will shape the network of the future - With 5G networks rolling out around the world, engineers are turning their attention to the next incarnation.
- Landowners are earning millions for carbon cuts that may not occur - A new analysis finds California’s cap-and-trade program may vastly overestimate emissions reductions.
- Facebook’s ad-serving algorithm discriminates by gender and race - Even if an advertiser is well-intentioned, the algorithm still prefers certain groups of people over others.
- China’s Huawei has big ambitions to weaken the US grip on AI leadership - In spite of tensions with the US and its allies, Huawei is rapidly building a suite of AI offerings unmatched by any other company on the planet.
- Elton John Says Disney's Lion King Remake Was a 'Huge Disappointment' - Sir Elton John has admitted that he was not a fan of the soundtrack for Disney's Lion King remake.
- The Outer Worlds Will Be Enhanced on Xbox One X But Not PS4 Pro - The PS4 Pro version The Outer Worlds won't get any extra licks of paint, but the Xbox One X will be able to run in 4K.
- UK Daily Deals: Preorder Google Pixel 4 and Get Chromebook and £50 Gift Card for FREE - Free 1-year Amazon Prime membership with Virgin broadband deals, £20 off Nintendo Switch Lite and Minecraft bundles, £30 off Kindle Paperwhite 6" (waterproof).
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Star Shares Jannah Character Details - Naomi Ackie has shared new details about her character, Jannah, and how she fits into Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Here's When You Can Read Our Death Stranding Review - Save the date!
- US claims cyber strike on Iran after attack on Saudi oil facility - Iranian official laughs off alleged cybering: "They must have dreamt it"
- In 2019, multiple open source companies changed course—is it the right move? - "We have to draw a line between open source and the right to make money with open source."
- Bringing in the big gun: Army paves way for “strategic cannon” - US aims for test of artillery prototype with range of over 1,000 miles by 2023.
- Washington State keeps enforcing net neutrality as it hails FCC court loss - FCC failure to preempt keeps Washington State net neutrality law on the books.
- Data for a whopping 26 million stolen payment cards leaked in hack of fraud bazaar - Thriving underground market imitated site, likeness of KrebsOnSecurity writer Brian Krebs.
- Giphy Joins Netflix and Tinder on the Videogames Bandwagon - The GIF gold mine is just the latest platform to offer up microgames—strange, branded, trashy microgames.
- Corporate America's Second War With the Rule of Law - Opinion: Uber, Facebook, and Google are increasingly behaving like the law-flouting financial empires of the 1920s. We know how that turned out.
- Archaeologists Found the World’s Oldest Leftovers - Unearthed Tupperware from the Stone Age shows that humans had “doggy bags” before we had dogs.
- Facebook Portal (2019) Review: Mixed Feelings - In many ways, I like the Portal. But it’s difficult to separate this family of devices from the social network that makes them.
- Tired of Jetlag? The App Timeshifter Will Help Reset Your Clock - Timeshifter cribs NASA-backed science to help you recalibrate your biorhythms after switching time zones.
The New York Times Technology News
- Europe’s Margrethe Vestager Uses a Rarely Used Weapon to Take On Big Tech - Ms. Vestager, the E.U.’s antitrust regulator, ordered Broadcom to halt possible anticompetitive practices while an inquiry is underway, signaling a more aggressive approach.
- Virgin Galactic Unveils Jumpsuit for Space Tourists - The outfits, which would look at home on the bridge of the starship Enterprise, come with a ticket to space that costs as much as $250,000.
- Huawei Reports Stronger Sales Growth - A recovery in quarterly revenue suggests that the Chinese tech giant is weathering the Trump administration’s efforts to hobble it.
- Ad Giant Wins Over Disney With Big Data Pitch - After a “painful” earnings report, the advertising company Publicis trotted out what it knows about consumers in its “most important pitch of the year.”
- Twitter Stands by Trump Amid Calls to Terminate His Account - Twitter said it would keep President Trump’s account live, despite pressure from Democrats to delete it.
CNET Technology News
- The new Beats Solo Pro could be the best Beats headphone yet - CNET - The Beats Solo has been totally redesigned. It's now Beats' first on-ear model with active noise-canceling features -- and it charges with Lightning.
- This LTE-capable Lenovo Android tablet is just $100 today - CNET - The Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus features front-facing speakers and expandable storage.
- Huawei ban: Full timeline as company reports shipping 185M phones despite US ban - CNET - Here's a breakdown of how the saga of the controversial Chinese telecom giant and phone maker has unfolded.
- Huawei Mate X unboxing video hints at foldable phone's imminent release - CNET - It lines up with CEO Richard Yu's hope that we'd be able to buy the $2,600 device in October.
- Fortnite's black hole event was a serious game changer - CNET - Who would have guessed that turning off a game would be so exciting?