Top RSS feeds from the world of technology:
- As Techstars retools, some former staffers say it lost focus on what made it successful
Well-known accelerator group Techstars announced a slew of changes to its operations this week, including the shuttering of some of its city-based programs.
Criticism from former members of its decisions lit social media channels who arg
- Techstars CEO defends changes, says physical presence in a city is not necessary for investment
Earlier this week, accelerator group Techstars announced changes to its operations. But what was planned internally to be an exciting new chapter for the organization ended up being somewhat of a PR nightmare. Techstars found itself facing crit
- Google court filing reveals new business details of DuckDuckGo and Neeva
A court filing in the U.S. Department of Justice’s case against Google over its alleged monopoly in the search market has revealed a few notable tidbits about the state of the search market competition, including the inner workings, revenue
- ‘Embarrassing and wrong’: Google admits it lost control of image-generating AI
Google has apologized (or come very close to apologizing) for another embarrassing AI blunder this week, an image-generating model that injected diversity into pictures with a farcical disregard for historical context. While the underlying issue
- Virtual Staging AI helps Realtors digitally furnish rooms within seconds
House staging is a significant part of the real estate industry, and while Realtors have traditionally staged houses physically before posting a listing, it’s an expensive and time-consuming process. A startup called Virtual Staging AI is m
- Avast ordered to stop selling browsing data from its browsing privacy appsIdentifiable data included job searches, map directions, "cosplay erotica."
- Tyler Perry puts $800 million studio expansion on hold because of OpenAI’s SoraPerry: Mind-blowing AI video-generation tools "will touch every corner of our industry."
- Ransomware associated with LockBit still spreading 2 days after server takedownLockBit's extensive reach is making complete erasure hard.
- Stability announces Stable Diffusion 3, a next-gen AI image generatorSD3 may bring DALL-E-like prompt fidelity to an open-weights image-synthesis model.
- Google’s hidden AI diversity prompts lead to outcry over historically inaccurate imagesInserting depictions of diversity into AI images creates revisionist history, critics say.
- 19 Best Mattress and Bedsheet Deals Right NowPresidents' Day is over, but these mattress sales are still going strong. Don't worry, we’ve price-checked it all to ensure there’s no trickery afoot.
- Reddit Is Letting Power Users In on Its IPO. Not Everyone’s BuyingReddit says it wants to reward users by letting them buy into the company’s public listing. Some say it’s too risky—others say they won’t pay a company they’ve already given hours of free labor to.
- The 16 Best Movies on Amazon Prime Right NowFrom Saltburn to Bottoms, these are the must-watch films on the streamer.
- The 31 Best Shows on Amazon Prime Right NowFrom Mr. and Mrs. Smith to Bosch, these are our picks for what you should be watching on the streamer.
- 23 Best Wireless Chargers (2024): Pads, Stands, iPhone Docks, and MoreStop fumbling for cables in the dark. These WIRED-tested stands and pads will take the hassle out of refueling your phone, wireless earbuds, and watch.
The New York Times Technology News
- A Marketplace of Girl Influencers Managed by Moms and Stalked by MenSeeking social media stardom for their underage daughters, mothers post images of them on Instagram. The accounts draw men sexually attracted to children, and they sometimes pay to see more.
- How to Make a Call When Your Cell Network Is DownStep 1: Connect to Wi-Fi.
- Reddit Files to Go Public, in First Social Media IPO in YearsThe message board site, founded in 2005, detailed its financial performance in a filing. It is the last of an early generation of social media companies to aim for a public offering.
- Google DeepMind C.E.O. Demis Hassabis on the Path From Chatbots to A.G.I.The mind behind DeepMind.
- Five Takeaways From The Times’s Investigation Into Child InfluencersMothers are running Instagram accounts for underage girls aspiring to stardom. Many encounter a dark underworld dominated by men, including pedophiles.