Top RSS feeds from the world of technology:
- When predatory investors damage your chances of successWelcome to Startups Weekly. Sign up here to get it in your inbox every Friday. You know what isn’t a great idea for my energy levels? Enjoying a week of TechCrunch Disrupt and then getting straight on a plane to attend a startup event in Oslo, Nor
- Pudgy Penguins’ approach may be the answer to fixing NFTs’ revenue problemsThe company's toy-focused expansion is its bet that NFTs should have a broader presence, one that’s not limited to the digital world.
- VC Office Hours: How data can help improve social impact investingErin Harkless Moore talks about Pivotal Ventures’ investment strategy, and its future.
- Two large equity funds launched this week. What gives?Two large equity funds came out of the gate this week. So, what gives? Earlier this year we covered how Liquidity Group, a growth-stage debt financier, raised $40 million and launched a $250 million debt fund for tech companies. Backers included Apo
- TechCrunch+ Roundup: How to pitch 7 VCs, building AI moats, immigration law Q&AMeeting investors is easy. The hard part is crafting a story that’s so convincing, they’ll wire you some money.
- A new Chrome 0-day is sending the Internet into a new chapter of Groundhog DayIf your software package involves VP8 video encoding, it's likely vulnerable to attack.
- Meta launches consumer AI chatbots with celebrity avatars in its social appsWhatsApp, Instagram add animated AI chat avatars, including Snoop Dogg as dungeon master.
- AI language models can exceed PNG and FLAC in lossless compression, says studyIs compression equivalent to general intelligence? DeepMind digs up more potential clues.
- Jony Ive and OpenAI’s Altman reportedly collaborating on mysterious AI deviceDespite lack of specifics, rumored smartphone collaboration has everyone guessing.
- Backdoored firmware lets China state hackers control routers with “magic packets”The modified firmware used by BlackTech is hard to detect.
- The 13 Best Movies on Amazon Prime Right NowFrom Red, White, and Royal Blue to A Million Miles Away, these are the must-watch films on the streamer.
- The 28 Best Shows on Amazon Prime Right NowFrom Jack Ryan to Gen V, these are our picks for what you should be watching on the streamer.
- New York City Is DrowningHeavy rainfall led to dangerous flash flooding in New York City and surrounding areas this morning.
- 'EA Sports FC 24' Is Just 'FIFA 24' in a Different JerseyNew name, same game. The world’s biggest and best soccer game has a new look, but under the surface things still feel very familiar.
- 15 Best Hair Straighteners We've Tested (2023): Flat Irons, Hot Combs, and Straightening BrushesCurls and waves are beautiful. But when you want to smooth them out, these hot tools—irons, brushes, and combs—work wonders.
The New York Times Technology News
- A Founder of the Crypto Hedge Fund Three Arrows Capital Is ArrestedSu Zhu, a founder of Three Arrows Capital, a cryptocurrency hedge fund that collapsed last year, was arrested in Singapore.
- Most Authors of Major Superconductor Claim Seek RetractionEight of the 11 authors are asking to retract a paper on a room-temperature superconductor, but Ranga Dias, the physicist who led the research, continued to defend the findings.
- Fact Checkers Take Stock of Their Efforts: ‘It’s Not Getting Better’The momentum behind organizations that aim to combat online falsehoods has started to taper off.
- The Gamble: Can Genetically Modified Mosquitoes End Disease?Working on a remote island, scientists think they can use genetic engineering to block a malaria-carrying species of mosquito from spreading the disease — and do it in just a few months. But governments are wary.
- Supreme Court to Hear Challenges to State Laws on Social MediaThe tech industry argues that laws in Florida and Texas, prompted by conservative complaints about censorship by tech platforms, violate the First Amendment.